Monday, April 6, 2009

Meekness

I wonder about being honest sometimes.  Like, blatantly, unashamedly, explicitly honest.  I wonder how that would come across to people.  Now, i am not talking about saying the first thing that comes to mind without foresight or regard for others.  But just plain, truth telling.

Would people like me more or less if i was simply honest with them.  I think less.  I think people would like me less.  Maybe that is why i don't like Jesus.  The Jesus i read about in the Bible.  Because he is blatantly open with people.  And so he sounds kind of cocky.  Like a know-it-all.

And that is why i am not always candid with people.  Because i do not know it all.  I could be being honest, but my honest opinion, even if it is well thought out and heart-felt, may not be truth.  I think honesty needs truth.  And unlike Jesus, i do not hold the truth in myself.  I am flawed.  And no matter how sure of myself i am, i am not necessarily going to be correct.  And so i do not speak everything that is on my mind.  Because it may just be falsehood.  I may just be false.

5 comments:

ChocolateMonkey said...

Interesting point...

that's something to think about..

Unknown said...

I was thinking about this the other day. What it's like being salty, like Jesus-salty. I am Japanese so this type of honestly is completely contrary to my nature, unless brother samurai from across town is trying to poison my rice field.

I think the only time I speak like this is when it's about God. When it's from the Word, cause I guess you never have to wonder if it's valid or true. You just know.

suz said...

Hey this is good. This is like a rant. I like rants. I am always honest without my honesty ringing true. It is bad. It is good to be careful with our words. Balance balance balance.

alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alex said...

Honestly, honesty; I don't think people will like you less, but maybe less people will like you. But the people who will like you, will love you explosively more so. The Kevin we know will become a polar, no longer a gray.

And honestly, I liked you more a bit when you left that comment and I read this post. So I think that's good.

Funny though, I know people who don't like the Bible-Jesus also. And then there are those who say that if Jesus wasn't who the Bible claims him to be, then in the recordings of the New Testament we have a character greater than him.

Personally, I try to be careful with what I say. I say most openly to those who know I am flawed and am in a thought process not a thought conclusion. I say less to those who judge me, and even less to those who are subject to my influence.

Ironically.. the world as told me to do the opposite process. I'm not sure about that. And I think you understand why. We fear misleading people from the truth we value so much.