Monday, April 15, 2013

Space

It is dark in my apartment.  There is precipitation outside.  That nasty looking strawberry at the bottom of the basket was the sweetest and most delicious.

I find inspiration through others and that leads me to believe I am extroverted.  Reading the blogs of Landon and Suzie (and Suzie) inspired me to write this post.

Last night at work I got to bar tend more so than bar back.  It was slow, and so nice.  I got to smile at people, and have conversations, and craft beverages and make recommendations.  People seemed happy.  It wasn't like Saturday night where I was pressed to get things done; fill waters, polish glasses, empty bus tubs, and have drunk people get angry about the price of the wine they ordered.  But I made forty-five more dollars on Saturday.  That's the trade off.

I really want to open some kind of hospitality place.  What exactly that will look like is ever changing in my mind.  Part of traveling in the future includes the ability to be witness to many different hospitable spots around the world.  What they look like, smell like, taste like, feel like.  Most importantly what they feel like.  I want people to feel welcome and taken care of in whatever space I open.  I want them to be greeted by smiling bar tenders.  Not because I told the bar tenders to smile, but because the guests are excited to be there and the bar tenders are excited to serve them—to play a part in offering them something they cannot get elsewhere.

For me these things come through in light, texture, music.  Through exceedingly high quality beverages of varying sorts.  Through food that surprises and comforts.

The vision of this place solidifies a little more each day and I am excited to someday walk the space and greet every person who fills it with their presence and helps bring it to life.

I kind of want to call it Friendship Committee Museum.

2 comments:

Suz said...

This makes me crazy happy. I want in.

Unknown said...

Gah, I wanted to respond to this so long ago. Sorry for not being able to. I'm in da aina now, and things are nicely slowing down - the busyness of finals obviously, and the anxiety of planning to have coffee with the entire population of Oahu. But, anyway, here I am.

I think I wanted to respond to this so much because I was elated after reading it. What a wonderful idea, dude. Creating a space that brings together various mediums of art - food, beverage, music, ambiance - in the context of an aesthetic community who would most appreciate it.

I'm for it! I can already hear it: "Hey dude, you heading to the Museum tonight?" "Baby, the local string quartet is being featured at le FCM. Let's go!"

While cafe/lounges are always dwelling in some part of my brain, I've been thinking of how nice it would be to have a Bed and Breakfast in the future, possibly when I'm elderly and an emeritus professor of some sort (if I'm allowed to). Some eggs and potatoes are being grilled in a cast-iron skillet while the guests walk down the stairs, the coffee just pressed seconds beforehand. A tired, yet genuinely curious smile appears on his face when he sees these old folks laughing, whistling and awkwardly dancing around while preparing breakfast. Their eyes meet, smiles are returned, and the coffee is poured.