Wednesday, January 28, 2009

For Grandpa Bob

My Grandfather gifted me time,
and time is on my side,
if not on his.

At my side and on my arm,
silver and jade displayed,
a reminder of time.

My grandfather gave me his watch of 50 years for my graduation present. I cried when i opened it...

--
I wrote this over a year and a half ago.  For some reason i never felt okay with the poem, like it needed more, or less, or something...but i cannot think of a way to change it, so i will leave it how it is.

My grandfather passed away five days ago.  It feels like forever since i wrote this poem.  I wish i could have known him earlier in life.  I wish i could have talked to the younger more wild Bob.  But i got to spend a lot of time with him these past 4 months, and as my dad said, the pain is over now, no more pain Grandpa.  I'll see you soon enough.


3 comments:

suz said...

I like it the way it is.

My friend kevin, who shoots guns and writes poetry.

Rest in peace G-pa.

ashley. said...

i wish i was there for you yesterday.

i agree with suz, it is good the way it is.
& that you are pretty much a perfect manly, sensitive person, haha.

Unknown said...

kev,

i think you find yourself less and less concerned about how you come off to people, you'll be able to find so many excellent things in yourself that you didn't even know existed.

i have stomach flu. i threw up early this morning and have had many cases of bad diarrhea. as i was on the toilet and i had a cold sweat going on, i thought i was going to die.

i bet God thought it was really funny because i began to confess to Him all of these things and i earnestly apologized for all of my wrongs, all of my flesh.

i wonder what it must feel like to die?

a little before uncle sam died, he said that he was perfectly content. he said that there was no one who he felt he wronged and no one who he had to forgive. he said that all of his children knew God. that he loved his wife and his kids and his church family. he said that he was ready to be with God, forever.

i want to say those things when i die. i want us to walk confidently to the throne of God, confident in His love.

i am so glad that you got to spend time with your grandpa. i believe that these past four months have carved something really wonderful in your heart that you will soon discover.