Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sucker Punched

Wow.  Hullo December '08.  Where'd you come from?  I wasn't expecting you so soon...

I feel a lot has happened this past year.  Start with an epic death-defying grand hike with brothers in arms, move on to a bachelor pad of grandiose proportions that robbed me blind, master the art of hand-crafted espresso beverages, slide in to spring with new friends and adventures, inject it with stunning and sometimes surprising visits from the best of old friends, splash in an escape and a move, dice it up with old age and the ending of loved ones, and don't forget to paint the glaze of new emotions of a relationship that is both new and old, beginning and ending and full of expression that can't be held on to long enough, all whilst remembering that good man upstairs that i can't quite seem to be able to meet face to face with.

Life.  Breath.  I feel the need to breathe deeply.

I think this year took me a little by surprise.  It hasn't felt like all that much as it has gone by, but the sum of it all seems quite spectacular.  I wonder what it would have looked like if it was walked a little more along the straight and narrow.  But it is nearing its end.  And there is not much that can be done now but to press on.

I am excited once again for the future and what it has to offer me in its outstretched hands.  If i were to sum it up in to a paragraph in a year from now i imagine it to be even more sensational than the one above.  Pray for me please.  I've started praying again, so you will be spoken for from time to time as well.  I promise.  And i look forward to holding you in my arms again.



Fallin' apart, and i'm sure, i could stand, on the Great Salt Lake.

7 comments:

ashley. said...

yay band of horses.

i just now saw the comment you left on my previous post, which is appropriate i suppose considering our conversation last night. hehe.

my last year did not go at all how i expected it to either. i have gone from being so tired to so refreshed, from so discouraged to so inspired, from so uncertain to so sure & everything in between. but i am here. right now. sitting here typing this to you.
the general theme seems to be that we have all been surprised by life. i think the fact that our plans have all been thrown to the wind is even more evidence of God's hand in our lives. if you know what i mean.
probably the most valuable thing i have learned is that my plans mean nothing & that i should always be asking & listening for His will. more listening.
i am reminded of that line from 'planes, trains & automobiles': like a twig on the shoulders of might stream! haha.

i am just so amazed.

would you be opposed to having a child named jack?

suz said...

Kevin, besides your use of the wrong year. Wait. Yes. You did. i think, this was very good. I have never seen a year summed up in a paragraph so well. May you continue to make better and better stories my friend. I am happy you have begun to pray again. Momma T taught me it all starts with prayer. (And it really does) I am rooting for you. You got this homeboy.

ChocolateMonkey said...

This year has gone by soo fast. I feel like a lottt has changed since we all hiked the grand canyon. It feels like it was last week that I was waking up on christmas day getting ready to leave for the flight to arizona..

We must do that again sometime. I mean, visit. Screw hiking! haha nah. 9 years from now lets go again :D

suz said...

Nevermind. I am a crazy fool.

Unknown said...

i think i begin everything i say to you with: "dude, kev." Or if i'm feeling passionate, i'd just exasperatingly yell "KEVIN!"

OH dude, guess who's back? The passion officer! The position was just reinstated earlier this week. i'm not sure why yet, i'm going to find out all of the deets.

it is so strange to think that last year, in a week and some I was very sick and getting ready to head north to AZ! man, that was a really, really amazing trip. it's strange to think about how everyone says that it's only going get faster and faster. we'll be singing that song "100 years" in falsetto.

i need to work on my 2nd annual KANzz christmas greetings.

i will talk to you soon because everything is changing. everything remains the same.

suz said...

It is an asofterworld comic thing. "Yes, I believe in love, Yes I am a dreamer. But I am not alone, there are more of us than you'd suspect. And we've got bombs, truth & beauty bombs."

suz said...

Oh! And, I am sorry Kev, Sometimes I lack flavor, I have been quite serious lately. I hope all is well!