Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Old Fashioned

Started watching Mad Men. Two in. It's interesting. Simple. Makes me wonder what I could learn from the men of my grandfathers generation.

What I could learn about things like propriety, chivalry, daring. Being a man's man. How to treat a woman.

Mad Men seems to want to show things through the eyes of today, through the eyes of equality between men and women. Making the men of the show out to be bad men...perchance mad men?

And it seems fitting to my modern mind. To think of these men as sleazy, low-browed, controlling, biggity. But maybe it's possible to gleam some things from them as well. To learn confidence. To learn poise. To have a sense of strength I feel a lot of men loose in this modern world.

I would like to believe I strive for a balance of my Grandfather, my Father, and myself. Of the generations before me and mine own. That I can be both strong and reasonable. Treat a woman well not only in material, but also in an emotional sense. Stand up for what's right, yet still yield to what's necessary.

Not sure what about me makes me want to be this kind of man. What message my hormones are shooting through me and what message my childhood spent with my mother is telling me. But this seems appropriate to me. Fitting. Sane. Sound.

Place 1 sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with 2 dashes bitters and a splash of water. Muddle until dissolved. Fill the glass with ice cubes and add 40ml bourbon, scotch or rye whiskey. Garnish with orange slice, lemon twist and two maraschino cherries.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I like the idea of balance between who we are now, and our forefathers. It's something that I never really, really think about, but kind of always do, by way of imagining what my future domestic life would look like (if will ever exist at all). I think of my grandfather raising up his empty bowl, and almost simultaneously my grandmother rising up to refill it. I think I told you about this strange Japanese phenomenon before. Anyway, I think about that, that if I did that today, I'd be blogged about, then shunned by my community. But, I don't even want that kind of domestic life.

Maybe balance, for me, would look to find someone who would be willing to refill my rice bowl upon the rise of my arm, but I would instead stand up and refill the both of ours together. She'd then get up herself and refill my cup of water - since I drink rapidly during meals, and always have. We'd hum a tune that's been stuck in our head for the last several days, and kiss each other while walking back to the table. Condensation drips off the side of my cup and little grains of rice stick to our feet.

----
Okay, I'm sorry for turning this comment into a blog-esque reflection. How irritating. I've actually never watched an episode of Madmen. You think I'd like it?